California DMV Forms

Essential Forms for Vehicle Owners

Navigating the DMV's requirements can be streamlined with the right forms. Below is a list of essential DMV forms that relate to license plate services, vehicle registration, and more, helping you manage your vehicle's legal and administrative needs in California.

Essential Forms for Vehicle and Driver Services

Navigate your DMV needs with ease using the right forms for various transactions, from vehicle registration to special permits.

Affidavit for Transfer Without Probate (REG 5)

Used to transfer title for a vehicle or vessel owned by a decedent, applicable only for California titled vehicles or vessels.

Affidavit of Non-Use (REG 5090)

Used when canceling auto insurance for a registered vehicle that will no longer be operated or parked on California roadways.

Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decals (REG 1000)

Request new or replacement clean air car stickers, available for most hybrid vehicles.

Application for Disabled Person Parking Placard or Plates (REG 195)

Required when applying for a disabled person card and/or license plates, with a medical professional’s signature.

Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (REG 227)

Needed for requesting a duplicate or paperless California Certificate of Title.

Application for Replacement Plates, Stickers, Documents (REG 156)

Required for requesting replacement registration stickers, license plates, and/or registration cards.

Application for Salvage Certificate or Non-Repairable Vehicle Certificate (REG 488C)

Used to record a vehicle as salvage or non-repairable, with license plates turned in to the DMV.

Application for Temporary Smog Exemption (REG 5103)

Used to renew registration for a vehicle requiring a smog check but is temporarily out of state.

Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)

Required for initial California registration and out-of-state vehicle title transfers.

Application for Vessel Certificate of Number (BOAT 101)

Necessary to register an undocumented vessel in California.

Bill of Sale (REG 135)

Records transaction details when buying or selling a used vehicle. A bill of sale can be personally drafted.

Certificate of Planned Non-Operation (REG 102)

Required if intending to no longer drive your vehicle.

Courtesy Stop Request (REG 500)

Prevents unauthorized transfer of your vehicle. Consult an attorney before filing.

Lien Satisfied/Title Holder Release (REG 166)

Can be used instead of a vehicle Certificate of Title to release ownership, commonly by lienholders.

Miscellaneous Certifications (REG 256)

Used for various DMV transactions, including Disabled Veteran Registration Exemption.

Notice of Change of Address (DMV 14)

Notifies the DMV of a change in address.

Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability (REG 138)

Notifies the DMV of a change in vehicle ownership, helping sellers avoid liability for parking tickets, toll violations, or traffic violations incurred by the new owner.

Power of Attorney (REG 260)

Allows a vehicle owner to authorize another individual to act on their behalf in transactions related to the ownership or registration of a vehicle. This form is crucial for individuals who are unable to personally attend to DMV affairs.

For a complete list of forms, detailed instructions, and to download the forms, visit the official California DMV website. Ensure your vehicle's documentation is up to date and correctly processed by utilizing the appropriate DMV forms.